The Wrinkly Truth: 6 Wrinkle Facts You Probably Didn’t Know
How frustrating can it be to discover one day that the feared lines and creases you’ve always worked hard to defy and reduce are relentlessly appearing on your face like uninvited guests? Wrinkles, without a doubt, are one of the few things women don’t look forward to having as they basically reveal where a woman is in terms of beauty and age. And while it may seem that we’ve already read and known everything about wrinkles, whether about its causes, treatments or prevention, there’s actually plenty more wrinkle facts to learn.
We’ve gathered here 6 little-known wrinkle facts you ought to know.
1. Not all wrinkles are the same. Perhaps one of the things you need to understand is that not all wrinkles are the same. Dermatologists classify wrinkles into two: dynamic wrinkles and static wrinkles. Dynamic wrinkles are those that appear on the eyebrows, forehead and outer corners of the eyes when muscles contract; while static wrinkles are those that are visible even when you have a neutral facial expression, and are often brought about by ageing.
2. Your mom may have a say about your wrinkles. If you want to take a peek into the future you and find out how your skin will probably fare with wrinkles and other signs of ageing, all you need to do is look at your mom. Genetics is known to play a role in the likelihood, degree and depth of developing wrinkles. Thus, if you discover that you’ve not won the genetics lottery, it’s important to consider and apply healthy skin habits as early as possible to prevent wrinkling and sagging, and ensure that you age gracefully.
3. Side sleepers are prone to developing wrinkles. Notorious side sleepers, beware. Sleeping on one side, crunched against a pillow, night after night might cause lines to appear on your chest, face or chin. If possible, sleep on your back or vary your sleeping position to prevent lines from being etched permanently on your skin.
4. Botox can turn your frown upside down. Botox is considered as one of the most effective wrinkle treatments today because of its ability to immediately keep annoying wrinkles at bay. Botox treatments can work wonders if administered properlyand at the right amounts. But when injected by people with no sufficient medical knowledge or equipment, things could end badly. This is why it’s important to turn to trusted skin and facial rejuvenation specialistsonly if you’re considering this option.
5. Frown lines may suggest you need to visit your eye doctor now. Contrary to what you might think, ageing, stress or sun damage may not be the culprits to your frown lines or the creases found between the eyebrows. Instead, they may indicate that it’s time for you to take a trip to your eye doctor now. This is because those with vision problems often compensate by squinting and, if repeatedly done, may cause lines to form between the brows or on the forehead.
6. Going under the knife is not the only way to get rid of wrinkles effectively. A lot of people believe that the best way to get rid of fine lines and wrinkles is still by going under the knife. However, with the various innovations in the beauty world today, it’s actually possible to banish frown lines or crow’s feet immediately in a painless, non-invasive way. Some of these solutions include regenerative laser treatments like Titan (for loose skin) and laser genesis for improved complexion.
Wrinkles are inevitable – we all know that. But that doesn’t mean we should completely wave the white flag and do nothing about them. Continue the fight against wrinkles by learning everything there is to know about them, practising good skin habits and getting help from skin health experts.
By Debra Wright
Author bio: Debra Wright is a writer and avid blogger who broke into the realm of online marketing before it was cool. Wright has contributed to various sites and covers a diverse array of topics, from fashion trends to beauty enhancement. She writes because she wants to know. Follow Debra on twitter @debrawrites…